Good Morning Muffin Recipe
This healthy muffin recipe provides the opportunity for you to be creative and add various fruits to produce great flavors with this muffin recipe. Use the recipe as is, or have some fun and experiment. Be sure to let us know your results through our Contact Us section.
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder (we use Hain’s Featherweight, sodium free and gluten free)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 3 tablespoons Ground Flaxseed Meal (we use Bob’s Red Mill Organic)
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats (100% rolled, use dry)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 11/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dried cherries (chop after measuring)
- 1/2 cup whole walnuts (chop after measuring)
- One apple peeled and cut into dime size chunks (we use a firm apple like Honey Crisp because they do not cook down)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla
- One 3.9 oz. Natural Apple Sauce (no sugar added)
- One 6 oz. the container of Pineapple Juice – not from concentrate (we use the little containers of juice – no waste)
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1/3 cup frozen or fresh blueberries if available (we use Trader Joe’s Organic Wild Blueberries — (See FOOD FOR THOUGHT)
- One 6 oz. the container of French Vanilla or Mountain Blue Berry Yoplait Original Yogurt (we use 99 % Fat-free in the Red container)
Topping for Muffins (optional)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup cold whipped unsalted butter (See FOOD FOR THOUGHT)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Gently mix together the first 12 ingredients (unbleached flour through and including cut up apples) and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combines the remaining ingredients.See Food For Thought for a few ideas and suggestions about some of the ingredients we use in this recipe.
- Mix together the ingredients combined in steps 1 and 2. Do not over mix. Just mix together evenly and let the batter rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- While the combined batter ingredients are resting, thoroughly mix all of the ingredients for the streusel topping and set aside.
- Lightly spray two 6 cup muffins tins with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon the muffin batter into each muffin cup to the halfway point. Layer on a teaspoon of the streusel mix into each half filled muffin cup, and then fill the remainder of the cup with the batter mixture. Top each muffin cup with a little more streusel for the finishing touch.
After the oven has been preheated to 350 degrees, bake the muffins for about 25 minutes. Be sure to check the muffins for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the muffin. When the toothpick comes out clean, the muffins are done.
Set finished muffins on top of the stove and wait for 5 minutes. Letting the muffins rest for 5 minutes make it easier to remove the muffins from the pan.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
We use yogurt and applesauce which replaces the need for the use of oil.
By using the small cans (6-ounce size) of 100% pineapple juice there is no waste.
We use the no salt added whipped sweet butter. We like that there is no salt and no chemical additives.
We like to blend the eggs with other liquids because this seems to help the eggs combine more evenly with the remaining ingredients.
We like to use frozen blueberries from Trader Joe’s. These berries are organic and they’re very small in size but they are packed with flavor. We buy two or three bags at a time and keep them in our freezer. We store each bag in individual freezer zip lock bags to prevent freezer burn.
To compliment these muffins we often serve with fresh fruit, pineapple, strawberries, banana. You can also serve with homemade jams or do as we do and serve with Smuckers Simply Fruit Jam.
Serving Information for each muffin
Serving size: 1 MuffinMakes: 12 muffinsPrep: 40 minutes prep time
Per serving: Calories 200, Fat 4.5g (sat 0.6g, mono .7g, poly 2.6g), Pro 4.6g, Carb 37.1, Fiber 3.2g, Chol 18.5mg, Sugar 19.0g, Sodium 70.6mg
Serving Information for each muffin topping (optional)
Serving size: 1 Muffin topping (2 teaspoons each)Makes: 12 muffin toppingsPrep : 5 minutes prep time
Per serving: Calories 60.0, Fat 2.6g (sat 1.67g, mono .7g, poly .1g), Pro .4g, Carb 8.9, Fiber 0.3g, Chol 6.7mg, Sugar 6.0g, Sodium 2.2mg